How To Remove Glue From Shoes (With Home & Commercial Products)
For making or repairing shoes, glue is a must-use product for bonding. But sometimes, you find a shoe glue spot on your shoes after unboxing your new pair. Spilling glue on shoes while repairing, crafting, or performing your job is also common.
So, knowing how to remove glue from shoes is the ultimate option to save you from going to a shoe doctor.
In this article, I love sharing various methods of removing glue stains from shoes with at-home products and commercial products. So without more words, let’s dive into the main discussion.
How To Remove Glue From Shoes (Home Products)
Basically, home products will perform well against a less amount of glue. So I suggest following this method when you must eradicate a small blob of glue from the shoes.
Mild dishwashing detergent, toothpaste, peanut butter, canola oil, and mayonnaise are all of these home products that are good at dissolving glue from shoes.
But, don’t you know how to remove adhesive from shoes with these? Let’s check
The Things You’ll Need
Below, I talk about two methods and you should keep some tools at your fingertip to easily get the job done.
- An old toothbrush
- A bucket
- Dishwashing detergent
- A damp sponge
Method 1: Using soapy water
- You must mix two teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent with 250ml water to make soapy water.
- Pour the soapy water into a bucket and rinse the shoes by submerging the gluey area. Keep it resting for several hours to soften the glue.
- Now, rub the soaked shoe with a toothbrush to remove the glue and check whether there is more glue stickiness left. If so, pour more dishwashing detergent on the toothbrush, and again rub.
- Finally, wash the shoes and keep them in an airy space to dry.
Method 2: Using toothpaste/oil
- Reach the glue spot and apply toothpaste or oil to that space with cotton swabs or balls, even your finger. Now, wait until the glue is softened for removal.
- When the glue is dissolved, rub the glue with the old toothbrush. The glue will come off automatically with the brush’s bristles, as it is already soft.
- Now, wipe the shoe space with a soaked cloth.
These two are the easiest and cost-free methods to get your shoe glued-free. You have to go with a specific glue remover for more chunks of glue and its stains.
Note: Don’t keep them under scorching sun heat, as it may fade your shoe color. You can use all other home products by following the above process to remove shoe glue.
How To Remove Glue Stains From Shoes (Commercial Glue Remover)
If there is no more glue but have the glue stains or residue that looks ugly. Using suede & nubuck glue remover is excellent to remove these, and I recommend this as it takes only 2-3 minutes to complete the task.
How To Remove Yellow Glue Stains From Shoes
- Find the glue stains on the shoes and swiftly rub the suede glue remover for a few seconds against the stains.
- Periodically check to avoid rubbing on one space more times. As it’ll keep glue remover marks on the shoes.
- Now, clean the glue residue and stains with a brush you receive in the package.
Removing Glue Or Glue Stains From Shoes Depending On Glue Types, Shoe Types, And Shoe Parts
There are many types of glue (super glue, shoe glue, etc.), many types of shoes (leather, fabric, etc.), and many parts of shoes (upper, toebox, outsole, midsole, etc.). So as above, I will inform you about the general process of removing glue from shoes. Now, I’ll tell you specific ways of the glue removal process by keeping in mind all those things.
How To Remove Super Glue From Shoes
Super glue or Cyanoacrylate glue is too strong and waterproof. As you must wear the shoes on rainy days, super glue is used in the shoe industry. However, you can remove this glue with simple tactics.
- First, scrape hard glue from the shoe surface with flat edges like a butter knife or putty knife.
- Soak a cotton ball into acetone and place it on the gluey area of the shoes. Let the chemical dissolve the glue.
- Now, rub the dissolved glue with an old toothbrush until you’re sure there is no glue.
- Rinse the shoe with clean water and air dry.
How To Remove Adhesive From Shoe Soles
Since rubber shoes and soles are slip-resistant, offer better grip on the wet surface, and last long, many people love to wear these shoes. So let’s learn how to remove glue from shoe soles.
- Collect an adhesive glue eraser and gently rub it on the glued area of the rubber shoes or soles.
- Once the glue is removed from the eraser, wipe the space with a soft clean cloth.
How To Remove Super Glue From Leather Shoes
Doc martens, crocks, and many popular branded shoes are made with heavy-duty leather. These shoes are expensive, so nobody wants to keep them looking odd due to glue spots.
- Soak a soft sponge with white vinegar and let it sit on the gluey leather shoes for 20-30 minutes.
- When the glue is loosened, scrape the glue with an old toothbrush or putty knife.
- Moisten a hand towel with soapy water and wipe the glued area of the shoes to clean the glue residue.
How To Remove Glue Stains From Jordans
The basketball players wear the Jordan shoes for their excellent traction, ankle support, and court feel. If there is glue on your jordans shoes, it may lower your confidence, as proper sports attire boosts your confidence.
- Spray rubbing alcohol on the gluey spot of your Jordan shoes and wait a few minutes.
- Rub the soaked shoe with a damp towel to remove the soft glue.
- Once the shoe dries, you can apply the shoe conditioner to rejuvenate its shine.
How To Remove Gorilla Glue From Shoes
In most cases, Gorilla glue is used for intense craft bonding. When you are busy with your project, a blob of glue may fall on your shoes, and you need to remove it.
- Saturate a cotton pad with acetone, and wipe the damp pad on the shoe’s glue surface.
- Keep it resting for 5-10 minutes, then clean the glue with a damp cloth.
How To Remove Price Stickers From Shoes
A new pair of shoes must have price stickers on any one of them. Removing this sticker isn’t that hard and requires too many tools. Just a hair dryer is ok to do the job.
- After connecting your air dryer with power, set its heat to lower.
- Hold the dryer on the shoe sticker from 7-8 inches above and apply heat for 50-60 seconds.
- Keeping your dryer aside, peel off the sticker with your nail.
- If you remove the glue with soapy water, you should open the laces of your boots or shoes. It will help you to handle the shoes with ease.
- Always consider the shoe’s material, and then select the glue-removing method.
- Don’t rub your shoes vigorously, as it may damage your shoes’ fiber.
- Remove the glue with patience, as when you are in a hurry, there is a high chance of making a mess.
What takes glue off of shoes?
Soapy water, white vinegar, oil, lubricant, acetone, etc., are the most incredible items that take the glue off of shoes.
What is the easiest way to remove glue from shoes?
Using glue erasers is the easiest way to remove glue from shoes.
How do you get glue off fake shoes?
You can get the glue off from fake shoes with acetone. Apply acetone to the glue, wait a few minutes, and clean with a damp cloth.
So, now you know how to remove glue from shoes at zero-cost and a little bit of cost.
When zero-cost ways are effective for small glue, commercial glue remover is effective for expensive shoes and large glue spots.
Using any method may help you to solve your gluing issue. I suggest you choose the glue-removing method depending on your shoes and the amount of glue